Today is the day :-D

Finally, after over three months of waiting, I am on my way back to my heartland:  Africa.  Through my many travels across the globe, there is no other place I have felt so much at home as in the savannah of the African plains.  To me, this epitomises everything I love about nature where you can witness first-hand the circle of life.  It is truly reminiscent of all the nature programmes I watched continuously as a kid, where I wished and hoped that I could be there to witness the lion catch the zebra.  

And now that dream has finally come true!



First stop:  Cheetah Conservation Fund in Otjiwarongo, Namibia - the epicentre of global cheetah conservation and a place I have been yearning to visit ever since I heard about the programme.  They are doing magnificent work on all aspects of cheetah biology, ecology and conservation, such as reproduction, genetics, habitat and prey studies, research into conflict mitigation with livestock farmers and the ever-essential education and outreach to local communities.  I am also excited to meet their scat detection dogs that are being trained to search for the illusive cheetah poop, which provides a great deal of vital information about their population status and health.  It will be great to hear a cheetah purr again too - it has been over a year since I last heard that hypnotising, deep rumble.



I don't know how much internet access I will have for the next week or so, but will try to update as much as possible.

Right, better get on with the last-minute packing now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styes, sleepless nights and swear words

Against trophy hunting but a meat-eater = hypocrite?

Quantity does not always mean quality