"I've killed more lions in Namibia than anyone else"

Since leaving CCF on Sunday, I moved into my temporary home on the outskirts of Otjiwarongo town centre with a lovely French lady called Monique.  She has a spacious bungalow with a swimming pool and beautiful garden that overlooks the bush beyond the house and a number of cute (but very timid) house cats.  I'm sure this will be the most luxurious accommodation I'll stay in during the next 7 months of being in Namibia!
Monique's pretty house
On my first full day in Otjiwarongo I decided to take a trip into town to visit a few places where I might bump into some farmers.  Little did I know what I was getting myself into!  Naively but confidently, I stumbled into a large agricultural store and went straight to the Manager's office to ask for some advice on finding farmers to talk to.  He said that I might like to attend the nearby Farmers Association meeting in a few weeks.  I thanked him, left, and went to look around the store.
The view 20m from Monique's house
Shortly afterwards, he came up behind me on the phone, finished his conversation (in Afrikaans) and then said that there were a group of livestock farmers in the Auctions office across the way that might be able to speak to me, as they've had problems with predators recently.  Without being entirely sure what was about to happen or how I should come across, I bumbled over to the office and introduced myself with a bright and cheerful smile, saying that I'm doing research on livestock farming in Namibia particularly related to the challenges of farming in a landscape shared with predators.  I asked if they would be happy to talk to me and one farmer said he's killed more lions in Namibia than anyone else.  I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that one!
The view opposite Monique's house - it's so dry!
Later on that day I visited a number of car shops to find items for my new Hilux.  The below image depicts my fear and confusion over buying the right type of oil that I needed for my car:
I had to ask one of the shop workers to help me with the list of items I'd been told to buy by my Dad and my boyfriend (thanks to both for your recommendations!).  Fortunately, the lady didn't judge my ignorance at all and assisted me with all the things I needed.  About £100 later, I am now stocked up with all the basics I need to look after my truck!  It's expensive doing a PhD!!  I hadn't quite realised just how much I need to spend in order to have a car.  If anyone out there is intending to do PhD research, try to either get a car provided for you or try to do research without needing a car!  My financial situation won't be improved from the fuel increase in Namibia that takes effect from today either.  It also doesn't help that fuel stations do not accept credit cards as payment.  I know I'm now living in Africa again, but really, if you're going to spend £100 on fuel, do you really expect customers to have that amount of money in their wallets?!  Oh dear!!  Donations are now welcome to help fund my research!!
Strange looking tree on my walk into town
For the rest of this week I've been busy going round shops in Otjiwarongo putting up flyers asking farmers to contact me if they're interested in talking about their experiences with farming in Namibia.  So far, I've not had a single person call, but I am hoping that I will get at least some response soon!  If nothing else, on Friday I am visiting two farms that I am hoping to stay on to conduct my research, and am crossing my fingers that they know lots of farmers in their community that might like to speak to me.  I have a feeling I might have to start offering bribes to get people to talk to me!  What is the ethical standpoint on that?!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styes, sleepless nights and swear words

Against trophy hunting but a meat-eater = hypocrite?

Quantity does not always mean quality